Tripes Farm once formed part of the Manor of Mayfield which in 1080 belonged to Bishop Odo - half brother to William the Conqueror
- who was Archbishop of Canterbury, Earl of Kent, Bishop of Bayeaux and the instigator of the Bayeux Tapestry. A very
consequential person indeed and any property belonging to him would have its own importance! There are reminders of this
significant time in Orpington history i.e. Mayfield Nursery, Mayfield Avenue Mayfield Manor (demolished in the early 1930's) and
The earliest remaining buildings on Tripes Farm date from 1540 (Tudor). It is the only remaining
farm in the Parish of Orpington.
Tripes Farm was a very large working livestock farm in the early part of this century and it
represented a very important part of local and regional history. It has been worked by the George
family since 1911 and once boasted the largest outdoor pig production enterprise in the UK. It
provided fresh pork and amongst the farm's most famous products were 'George's Famous Farm
It's neighbour, Cooke's Farm, was an award winning chicken farm which had the largest production
of chickens in the UK (where the Buff Orpington originated). Cooke's Farm and Tripes Farm had a
very healthy economy and were suitably placed as Orpington, at the beginning of the Century, was
very accessible to London. London was not only the Capital but also the heart of the British
Tripes Farm is surrounded to the north and west by the ever increasing town of Orpington. The
Farm is well known today for its Commercial Centre and its very popular car boot sales held
fourteen times each year. It is still a big part of the community and retains the 'country feeling' as it
is part of the Bromley Borough Council's "Green Belt". Hopefully, Tripes Farm will continue to
prosper and remain with the George family for years to come........
Tripes Farm Produce Marketing Draft - 1935c
Mr Charles George Snr was a very clever business man. He not only established a fully working farm he commissioned many of the
original 1930’s houses in Chelsfield Lane. Big on marketing, these images are ‘mock-up’s to promote the farm’s produce. These would
be sent to a printer and flyers created for distribution all over the country.
Tripes Farm - Approximately 1930c
This is Chelsfield Lane and Tripes Farm. You can see how big it was. It was famous for it's sausages and poultry. The original farm
buildings are approx 400 years old. You will notice that Ramsden Estate is still Ramsden Farm (at the very bottom of the picture) and
Tripes Farm is located on what is now Alma Rd, Loxwood Close, Moyser Dr and Gload Crescent. Avalon Road is also still fields. Mr C
George Snr, of Tripes, built the houses and widened Chelsfield Lane in the 1920s and those houses or villas (as they were called) are
still there today. He also built all the houses in Craven Road, then called Craven Estate.