The timeline below has
been put together from studying many resources on Orpington. Some of
it may seem a bit 'far out' but for those of you who live, or have
lived, in the area - the significance may take a different meaning.
Click the date ranges above to navigate the time line. To return to this point click 'Back' on your internet browser.
Click here or on the 'Back To Main
Site' button above to return to the main site.
|Town Centre||Town Area||Transport||Significant Events||World or National Events Affecting Orpington||Agriculture and Commerce||Municipal Services, Utility Services, Sport and Religion|
|140||Crofton Roman Villa Inhabited|
|400||Crofton Roman Villa un-inhabited|
|862||In an Anglo-Saxon Charter of this year, Ethelbert, King of Wessex gave to his minister, Dryhtwald, ten hides of land, (about 1200 acres), in Fearn Biorg (Farnborough).|
|1032||Eadsy, chaplain to King Cnut (Canute the Great), gave his estate at Orpedingetune to Christ Church Priory, Canterbury. The name means Orped's farm|
|1036||First recorded mention of Orpington as Orpedingetune|
|1066||The Battle of Hastings - William of Normandy becomes King William the First of England.|
|1076||Bishop Odo, King Williams half brother ceased the lands around Orpington. In this year the new Archbishop of Canterbury challenged Odo and the lands were regained by the Church.|
|1086||The Domesday book gives specific reference to the population, what they did and what they owned. There were approximately 75-100 inhabitants.||
The Domesday Book is created where specific reference is made to
Orpington and its biggest Manor belonging to the Monks of
A reference to a second Manor, 'Little Orpington' belonged to the Archbishop of Canterbury and not the monastery. This land is likely to be where the present middle section of the High St is and the Knoll estate.
|1111||The first manor house was built by the de Rokesle (Ruxley) family and then let to Philip de Malevil (Mayevil, Mayvil) and later known as Mayfield.|
|1173||All Saints Church is endowed by the Archbishop of Canterbury.|
|1270||The first Rector of Orpington, Hugh de Mortimer, held court in a hall house in Orpington, this building was to be rebuilt and became The Priory|
|1281||The letting of the Manor House ends and it is reoccupied by the Rokesle family, this time by Gregory de Rokesle, Lord Mayor of London. Lullingstone was his other manor.|
|1290||Green St Green is recorded as Grenstretre which is Roman for a road covered with grass. It is known in the 1800's as Greenstead Green.||The Hall House was rebuilt in stone|
|1363||When John de Rokesle died his lands were sold to Sir John Peche|
|1377||Population 290 (as a result of the black death).|
|1380||Sir John Peche dies and an account of his assets is made and reference is made to his services to the King (later discovered to be the creation of silver spurs).|
|1393||The 'Priory' was added to|
|1471||The 'Priory' was added to|
|1538||Records start at St Giles the Abbot Church in Farnborough.|
|1554||Sir Percival Hart builds Bart Hart|
|1573||22 July - Queen Elizabeth I is entertained at Bark Hart and her horses stabled at the Anchor and Hope Inn.|
|1771||All Saints Steeple is damaged in a storm.|
|1600 and something||The Priory Hall House ceased to be a rectory.|
|1626||The George at Farnborough and the White Lyon at Locksbottom are established as serve the Coaching era as staging stables.|
|1634||Colegates Mill is constructed on the river Cray located at the back of the current Carlton Parade.|
|1650||Circa. The Manors of Mayfield and Lullingstone are separated and William Hart inherits the Lord of the Manor.|
|1652||William Hart - Lord of the Manor.||Diarist John Evelyn is robbed by Highway men three miles from Bromley.|
|1654||The Hodgson Bros build their bell foundry on the site of an older foundry along the bank of the river Cray at St Mary's Cray.|
|1655||Hodgson Bros cast three of the five church bells of St Mary's Church.|
|1666||Between this year and 1680 the Hodgson Foundry cast a set of eight bells for St Mary Le Bow of Cheapside, London. These bells became better known as 'The sound of Bow Bells'. If you were born within the sound of them, you were a true Cockney.|
|1671||William Hart dies and the Manor is passed to Sir Fisher Tench.|
|1678||A 'Survey of the manor of Orpington' was taken and makes references to a manor house various rural buildings and fields adjacent (Homefield, Broomhill, Perryfield, Goddington and Goodmeade).|
|1690||Perry Hall Farm is established at the northern end of the village.|
|1703||26th November - The Market Hall at St Mary Cray burns down.|
|1737||After the son of Fisher Tench has inherited the Manor he died without an heir so the Manor passed to his sister, who was married to a Mr Soresby|
|1747||Mr Soresby sells the Manor to the Sheriff of Kent William Quilter.|
|1749||William Quilter married Elizabeth Petty and the next year a new Manor house was built for them.|
|1750||The Manor house of Mayfield was built on an existing site. This house would remain until the 1930's.||The turnpiking of the London to Tunbridge Wells road is completed. This road is basically the old route of the A21.||Circa: Part of Bark Hart House became a Boys Academy in the mid 1700s.|
|1764||William Quilter dies.|
|1780||Significant modifications are made to Bark Hart House.|
|1792||Richard Glade - Lord of the Manor.|
|1798||Highwaymen hold up the London to Tonbridge mail coach at Locksbottom.|
|1800||Circa - The Village's Stocks and Gallows were located on the corner of the High St and Church Hill (where Pizza Express is now).||Warren Road, between Chelsfied and Farnborough is built.||Hop growing is listed as a principle commerce with substantial production including designated fields and Oasts.|
|1801||Two paper mills are recorded in the early 19th Century as starting up business in St Mary Cray.|
|1802||Circa Lord of the Manor Richard Glade dies and The Stapleton family take over.|
|1806||The 'St Mary Cray Paper Mill' was established.|
|1809||All Saints Steeple is destroyed by lightening an not replaced.|
The area's first school for all was established, The St Mary Cray
The Boy's Academy at Bark Hart House closes.
|1819||An early Zionist chapel is built in Moorfields.|
|1830||Circa. Lord of the Manor John Glode Stapleton|
An act of Union is authorised between parish's the local area and
Orpington became part of the Bromley Union.
Orpington's Cricket Club is established and as a founder member of Orpington Sports Club.
|1836||The original London Bridge railway station was opened as Tooley St by the London and Greenwich Railway - the first in the world! This station became the starting point for most routes as 'railway mania' extended routes, by many different companies across London and the South East.||Fox and Sons establish a large brewery in Green St Green. The site on which this establishment stood was later a plastics factory as is now housing (Winipeg Drive etc).|
|1840||The Stapleton family let Mayfield Place to Mr Joseph Jackson a very influential local figure (J.P and Deputy Lieutenant of the County of Kent.||
The first Post Office is founded in Orpington at the northern end
near to the current White Hart PH.
Mr Joseph Jackson builds the first purpose built Oast house in the High St.
|1841||Population 754||The British School is founded and built by the Lord of the Manor (James Glode Stapleton) on the north side of Chislehurst Road. Girls were taught on the first floor and the boys on the ground floor so as to keep the noise to a minimum!|
|1844||July - Thomas Nash built a new paper mill in St Mary Cray.|
|1845||13th March - A workhouse is built at Farnborough (now classed as Locks Bottom for the Bromley Union. This building would eventually become Farnborough Hospital and later the Princess Royal University Hospital.|
|1848||The Artichoke PH opens.|
|1850||Circa - Housing was built in Laxey and Lezayre Roads in Green St Green by Fox and Sons for their brewery employees.|
|1851||Mr. Joseph Jackson is listed as being the principle land owner||The initial act of parliament for the construction of a railway through Orpington is discussed at a Parish meeting at the George PH in Farnborough. The railway was proposed to be called the Mid-Kent and Dover Railway.||The first St Mary Cray Police Station was erected.|
|1858||The London, Chatham and Dover Railway builds Bromley (South) and Bickley and St Mary Cray stations as it extends its lines to north Kent. These stations were the closest to Orpington until another ten years. This is the main reason St Mary Cray developed quicker that Orpington as the local commercial hub.|
|1860||St Mary Cray Paper Mill' A second machine was installed and the mill printed stamps and bank notes!||Cray Wanderers FC Established|
The listed residents of Mayfield Place are Mrs. Jackson and her two
The son of the Jacksons, Addis, is listed as being resident with his large family in Aynscombe House, located near to the current Aynscombe Angle and Anchor and Hope PH.
|Victoria Railway station is opened in this year by the London Chatham and Dover Railway as their 'West End' terminus. It was shared by the London Brighton and South Coast Railway.||Circa. A significant Oast House were built by Addis Jackson and significantly increases the output of hops from the Mayfield estate. The Oasts were built on the existing corner of Knoll Rise and the High St.||St Luke's Chapel is built in the grounds of the Bromley Union Workhouse at Farnborough. This Chapel would be all that was left when, later in the grounds of Farnborough Hospital, all around it would be demolished.|
|1864||The South Eastern Railway builds Charing Cross, its 'West End' Terminus.|
|1865||The South Eastern Railway completes the line between London Bridge and New Cross.|
|1866||The South Eastern Railway builds Cannon St Station, its 'City Terminus.|
|1868||2nd March: The South Eastern Railway reaches Orpington and Orpington Railway Station opens connecting the 'village' to London and Sevenoaks|
|1870||The Education Act was passed and all children between the ages of 5-13 had to attend school. School Boards were set up in each Parish.|
|1872||An out break of Scarlett Fever spreads through the town.||It was reported that in this year all the arable land under the plough had reached its maximum.||
An Infirmary was added to the Union Workhouse at Farnborough.
The Rural Sanitary Authority for Orpington was set up (as they were across the country).
|1873||All Saints was significantly 'modernised' by its Victorian parishioners. Some say they removed all of the 700 year history inside the church.|
|1875||Ladywood was built as the principle house of the Ladywood estate which is present day Petts Wood (Princes Avenue, Ladywood Avenue and The Chenies).||The West Kent Main Sewerage Board was formed and one of the first major tasks was to 'sanitise' central Orpington!|
|1876||Work starts on the first sewerage and drainage system for the High St.||Chelsfield and Knockholt railway stations are opened by the SER.|
|1879||The Lych Gate of All Saints is built.|
|1880||Chapel yard at the back of the Anchor and Hope is demolished.||
The West Kent Water Company build a steam driven pumping station at
the junction of Tower Road and Sevenoaks Road.
Ten years after the act of parliament, Orpington Parish sets up its own School Board.
|1881||Population: 3050||September - A small village newspaper was created, The Sidcup and Chislehurst Times. This was the forerunner of the Kentish Times.|
An early Baptist Church is erected at the Northern end of the High
St on land bought for them by Mr Stapleton. The site is now mainly
the site of Aynscombe Angle.
The Board School is built in Chislehurst Road and becomes Orpington's principle education building for many years to come. After one year the school submitted 162 scholars for examination.
|1884||The Infirmary admits its first external patient at the Union Workhouse.|
|1886||The original Walnuts House was built. This was eventually owned by the same family that bought Mayfield Place, the Vinsons.||The London, Chatham and Dover Railway builds Blackfriars Station as its 'City Terminus'.||William Cook develops the first Buff Orpington Chicken||William Cook develops the first Buff Orpington Chicken|
William Vinsion takes ownership of Mayfield Place and the estate
which is now a significant producer of Hops and soft fruits. William
is also the J.P and Chairman of the Parish. William Vinsion is
married to Mary Nash the daughter of the owner of the St Pauls Cray
The Maxwell Arms is erected as a commercial inn and posting house. It was purposely built as a result of the railway and subsequent patronage from passengers passing through.
Captain Hart Dyke builds Crofton Grange.
|The Vinsion family (William and Edwin) increase the soft fruit output of the Mayfield estate significantly. 650 Acres of Strawberries, 350 of raspberries, at the time the largest producer in England.|
|1888||Circa. A new house is build for the son of William and Mary Vinson, William and the house is called Walnuts house. its location was opposite Mayfield Place and where the current Walnuts shopping centre is now located.||
The Parish purchased land from Sir William Hart Dyke to extend the
Churchyard. This land was thought to have contained the first
St Paul's Church, Crofton is established.
|1890||The Old Village Hall was erected.|
|1891||Southwark Diocesan Education Council & Rescue Society for Poor and Neglected Children purchases a 60 acre site between Orpington and Green St Green. This is to become the land where St Josephs, St Anne's Orphanages, St Anne's Convent and the first Church of Holy Innocents were built|
|1892||The building of St Joseph's Orphanage and School (for 200 boys from the age of four onward) was completed.|
|1893||St Andrews CofE Church is built in Lower Road as the congregation of All Saints had grown significantly. Within the immediate vicinity 'New Town' had been built (Lower, Wellington, Anglesea and Kent Roads) many more people wanted to worship.|
|1894||The Local Government Act was passed and the Bromley Rural District Council was formed an took over a number of responsibilities (including health etc).Orpington Parish Council still had non-religious powers but this was the turning point.|
|1895||Town Court Farm is picture here in this year but probably existed many years before. This farm became what is now Petts Wood. (Queensway and Ryecroft Road).|
|1896||It is recorded that William and Edwin Vinsion were the most extensive growers of soft fruit in England.||The existing St Mary Cray Police Station building (although it has been vacated) was erected.|
|1897||Bark Hart House is enlarged again by its owner Henry B Howard.||Queen Victoria accepts a Jubilee Buff Orpington as a gift.|
|1898||Elm Villas are built at the northern end of the High ST between the pond and the junction of the High St and Chislehurst Road.|
|1899||The London Chatham and Dover Railway is joined with the South Eastern Railway to become South Eastern and Chatham Railway (SECR). The two companies had virtually exhausted all finances and were in such competition that a government order joined them by a management committee to end the inefficient disputes and serious squabbles between the two.|
Crofton Grange becomes a school for ladies.
|Circa. Sir Malcolm Campbell uses the strawberry fields of Broomhill to practice flying.||The Combined Orphanage and School of St Anne's was opened.|
|1901||The Priory springs start to fail.||Circa - The West Kent Water Company was included in the Metropolitan Water Board (Now Thames Water).|
The Priory springs fail and the pond is dry.
Residents welcome home four members of K (Orpington) Company after successful service in the Boar War.
|1904||The Priory springs return and the pond is full again.||Orpington Railway station is rebuilt this completes a massive piece of work to widen the lines from 2 to 4 from Orpington to Hither Green|
|1905||William Vinson dies leaving his estate to Mary.||The George Family take ownership of Tripes Farm||A separate block had been added to the Union Workhouse for children.|
|1906||Mayfield estate is starting to be sold off to developers.|
|1907||A building formally on the site of the current NatWest Bank was called 'The Nest' and is believed to be Orpington's first 'Work House' was demolished.||8 April - The National Telephone Company are allowed to erect 4 poles from the railway to the High Street.|
|1908||The first houses in Knoll Rise appear and at significant points across the Mayfield estate. This area was quickly known as the Knoll and is basically built on top of the old Hop fields.||The London County and Westminster Bank open their bank on the corner of Homefield Rise and the High St.||
26th November - Orpington's first Fire Station was opened and was
situation on the junction of Chislehurst Road and Elmcroft Road.
A roller skating rink is established at the northern end of the High St near the pond. 3 years later this became the Palace Cinema (Big Hutch).
|1909||Fox's Brewery in Green St Green closes and remains vacant until it is used by the army as a barracks in the First World War.||
The original Holy Innocents Chapel is built in the grounds of the St
Joseph's and St Anne's Orphanage and is opened.
29th March - The first Methodist Church is opened at the northern end of the High St.
The first Orpington Fire Station opens in Chislehurst Road.
|1910||Francis Austin starts to develop an area adjacent to Orpington Station from his estate office in Station Road. Hillview, The Knoll, Perry Hall, Scads Hill, and Carnwell Wood estates are quickly established.||
Circa - The Knoll Golf Course was established.
W Wood had established the largest Fish Monger and Poulterer in North West Kent with a huge fleet of delivery vehicles.
|1911||The title of Lord of the Manor of Mayfield is no longer used.||William Henry Cook moves to his new farm in Tubbenden Lane.||
A surgical ward is added to the infirmary at the Union Workhouse.
The Palace Cinema was established opposite the pond.
|1912||Sir Malcolm Campbell tested his aeroplane on Broomhill after some issues the plane landed in Perry Hall Farm where it needed repairs before being flown again. Sir Malcolm broke many land and water records and was born in Chislehurst. His son was Sir Donald Campbell who died breaking the speed record on Coniston water in the Lake District.||Sir William Hart Dyke sold land to the All Saints for expansion of the churchyard and cemetery.|
|1913||The existing White Hart Pub was built replacing the old one which was set back from the High St. The land it occupied was then released to be built on. This included building on recreational ground as well as Orpington's football ground.|
|1914||14th October - a VAD hospital was established in the Village Hall for the injured soldier being brought back from France.||Population: 6000||World War 1 Starts||The army uses the vacant buildings of the old Fox's brewery as a barracks at Green St Green.||Ontario Military Hospital built (Orpington Hospital) and opened 1916 and has the capacity for 1,040 patients.|
|1915||Zeppelins fly over Orpington.|
|1916||A section of the All Saints cemetery was consecrated for the Ontario Military Hospital.|
|1917||Orpington Hospital is expanded and renamed 16th Canadian General.|
|1918||In the First World War period 1,489 patients passed through the VAD Hospital and not one death was recorded.|
|1919||World War 1 Ends||5th June - King George V and Queen Mary visit Orpington Hospital and later that year it is expanded to accommodate 10,000 patients.|
|1920||Circa: The main High Street surface water drain is built.||
The Orpington Car, built by Frank Smith & Jack Milroy at their works
in Wellington Road, was shown at the 1920 Motor Show and won a
Town Court Manor was sold to James Langdon for development. This was the start of the housing boom in Petts Wood.
16th Canadian General becomes Orpington Hospital.
The Vinson family pay of the outstanding mortgage on Green St Green Baptist Church.
|1921||28th August - The War Memorial is erected at the junction of the High St, Station Hill and Sevenoaks Road. The memorial was commissioned by the March family of Goddendene, Farnborough.||Population 7000+||The original bus route that is now the 51 route was started as the S2B Bromley to Sidcup via Orpington.||20th June - A telephone exchange is opened in St Mary Cray.|
|1923||A number of Railways companies are grouped, including The South Eastern and Chatham Railway (serving Orpington). The companies are grouped by an act of parliament and the SECR is part of the new Southern Railway.||The London County and Westminster Bank becomes 'The Westminster Bank'.|
The Oast houses built by Addis Jackson were no longer need at the
'Oast House' sections were removed and a new floor and roof built.
The Orpington Times occupied the building.
Knoll Park Estates start developing the areas of the Knoll.
The Orpington Bypass is constructed by Fordyce and Sons changing the
local road layout forever.
As part of the bypass and road that extends to Crittalls Corner, the brick railway arch carrying the St Mary Cray to Swanley line is demolished and the existing one put in its place.
|1925||Gravel Pit cottages are demolished to make way for Spur Road.||
Third rail electrification reaches Orpington from London.
The Orpington Car ceases production.
The Ladywood Estate is sold to James Langdon and this area is added to a massive portfolio of development across, Crofton and the top of Poverest - the current district of Petts Wood.
Site of the Crofton Roman Villa discovered during the construction
of driveways for the nearby Lynwood House.
Lynwood House opened as Council Offices
|The Orpington bypass is opened (although sections of it would have been in use before this time).||The Orpington Fire Station has motorised tenders.|
|1927||Mary Vinson dies and as the last remaining owner of the Mayfield estate it is gradually sold off.||Mary Vinson dies aged 90. The Mayfield estate is sold to the Sillwood Company.||
The Presbyterian Church of England holds meetings in Orpington High
St, the majority of them in the old village hall.
The Bromley Union Workhouse and Infirmary at Farnborough is starting to be referred to as Farnborough Hospital.
The Ratings and Valuation Act took away the power of the Parish Council as Parish Overseer,
The creation of the 'middle section' of the 'Post Office' side of
the High St was built across and around the site of the Mayfield
Place plot. Only small parts of the land remained in the early
Again parts of the High St were widened.
The original Anchor and Hope was demolished in readiness for a new building.
|Orpington Town is realised and the old Village is quickly forgotten in the hustle of real estate development in the surrounding former farmland and market gardens of the old Manor.||The South Eastern Railway builds Petts Wood Station aiding the building boom in the local area. The station was a rush job only having an eight car platform lit by oil lamps. It was given the nick name of paraffin junction.||
The original buildings for St. Anne's, a voluntary school for the
orphanages, were erected in the grounds of the St Josephs Orphanage.
The Presbyterian Church purchases a large plot on the land occupied by the Orpington Golfing Club.
It was decided that proposals for two new central schools was needed, one on the St Mary Cray side of Orpington and the other on the Green St Green side.
Swimming baths are built at Darrick Wood.
The shops on the east side of the Petts Wood railway 'divide' are completed (Fairway and Station Square).
|1929||Mr Gayfor, a local jeweller and local businessman builds his new premises on the High St. The building is still there now on the corner of the High St and where the current White Hart is.||
Mayfield Avenue is built.
Manor Way (later Vinson Close) is built.
The current Post Office is erected in its current location ending 90
years of private Post Office existence in Orpington. The new
'Central Office' was purpose built with sorting offices to cope with
the demand of services from the new residents.
Mr C Bruce builds his four purpose built shops opposite the Anchor and Hope PH. Mr Bruce had already successfully run his first shop (No 1 Chislehurst Rd) for some time and was a significant person in Orpington Towns development in the 1920's and 30's
A Government act transfers the care of the poor from the Parishes to
the local Councils and The Union Workhouse at Farnborough officially
became Farnborough Hospital.
The Local Government Act of this year required all County Councils to review all boundaries of its boroughs, urban and rural districts and Parishes.
|1930||The title of Lord of the Manor of Orpington is no longer used.||The Orpington to Eltham bus route is started as the 422, which then became the 61.||Circa: An Imperial Airways flight is forced to make an emergency landing near Goddington.|
|1931||A new telephone exchange is opened on the two floors above the current Post Office building.||The farmlands of Poverest, formally part of the Kevington estate, are sold to housing developers.||
Building starts in St Johns Church Hall, Lynwood Grove. The existing
'Church Hall' was the original church building.
The Zionist Church at the northern end of the High St is demolished.
|1932||Petts Wood Station is significantly extended and modernised.||Schools were divided into 'non-hopping', 'hopping' and 'hopping and fruiting' to recognise the importance of harvest in the area.|
|1933||The Commodore Cinema opens.||
16th November - The Methodist Church on the junction of Sevenoaks
Road and Hillcrest Road is opened (The Church building was the
current Church Hall).
The open air Blue Lagoon swimming pool opens on Cray Avenue.
The shops on the west side of the Petts Wood railway 'divide' were completed as part of the Morrells estate. (Queensway).
Woolworths arrived in this year but the existing Woolworth's
building wouldn’t be built for another 20 odd years.
The old Colegate Mill (at this time known as Hodsoll's Mill) was demolished.
|1st April - Orpington Urban District Council is created from a number of local councils as part of the Kent Review of Order Act.|
|1935||After many alternatives were rejected Mayfield Place, the manor house of Orpington, was demolished||Orpington gets its first set of traffic lights! The junction of the High St and Chislehurst Road.||The Daylight Inn opens in Petts Wood as PH and a residential hotel.|
|1936||The Orpington Times reports record numbers of planning applications in the district (hundreds in a six week period) being reviewed by the council.||Electrification from Orpington to Sevenoaks (Tubbs Hill) was complete.||
June 8th - At Manor Farm, Mr Morphy and Mr Richards began making
gramophone pick-ups and electric fires. Morphy Richards became one
of Orpington's principle commercial establishments.
12th October - The Embassy Cinema opens in Petts Wood.
Westcombe Park RFC moves from Blackheath to Orpington (Goddington
A new wing is added to Farnborough Hospital.
Orpington's Secondary School is opened, this later became Charterhouse Secondary School (it has since been demolished and a houses built in its place).
|1937||The large Fox's brewery at Green St Green is demolished.|
Orpington High St is significantly widened on the east side and on
the west side where land is accessible. This is where Orpington's
straight, long high street gets its kinks!
As part of the widening some Tudor cottages located next to the entrance to the Walnuts House were demolished, these date back to 1645.
|The remains of the original Addis Jackson Oast house, the Orpington Times building, was demolished in preparation for the new building (still there now). During the demolishing four stones were removed. Two are lost, after being used at the country club at the Knoll (engraved with the Jackson coat of arms), the other two were set in the new 1938 building and they can be seen today under the window of the 'Your Move' Estate agents.||
The Barlow Commission is set up to site manufacturing industries
along arterial roads in Greater London. This was the first
significant step in 'Cray Avenue's commercial development and it
later being Orpington's primary employment location.
Morphy Richards are production (amongst other things) 1000 electric irons a week.
|Green St Green separates as its own Parish from Chelsfield.|
|1939||The tennis courts and land of the Walnuts house was purchased by the OUDC and turned into a car park (where the current Orpington Market is held).||
Gleeson and Cloonmore Avenue housing estates are let 'half built'
for most of the duration of the Second World War.
25th January - The newly formed Townswomen's Guild elects its first chairperson.
|The outbreak of the Second World War.||
Morphy Richards start manufacturing air craft parts.
Tip Top Bakery moves from its small premises to its current location in Cray Avenue. Tip Top now produces the majority of bread and morning goods to the south of England.
|The Blue Lagoon swimming pool is severely damaged by enemy action and never re-opens.|
|1940||Madame and General Charles de Gaulle took refuse in Petts Wood after the fall of France.|
|1941||A bomb hits a house in Vinson Close.|
|1943||An infant school is built in Poverest Road to accommodate the influx of evacuees to the area.|
|1945||The Orpington Historical Record Society was formed.||
March 27th: The last British civilian killed by German bombing was
Mrs Ivy Millichamp, 34, who was killed in her home at 88 Kynaston
The end of the Second World War.
|1946||Sergeant Thomas Frank Durrant, of Green St Green, is posthumously awarded the Victoria Cross. He died of his injuries when he took part in the raid on the St Nazaire in 1942. A road in Farnborough bears his name (Durrant Way).|
|1947||W.H. Cook's Chicken farm is purchased by developers and the estate of houses where Ridgeway Crescent Gardens, Maxwell Gardens, Beckets and Shelly Close are built.||The Orpington Urban District Council purchase the Priory from private ownership|
|1948||The Orpington Photographic Society was founded.||The railways within the UK are nationalised and Southern becomes British Rail - Southern Region|
|1949||St Giles at Farnborough is badly damaged by fire.|
|1950||After the settling of the economy after WWII, commercial and light industrial establishments appear along the length of Cray Avenue fulfilling the Barlow Commission's recommendations back in 1938.|
|1951||The National Time Recorder moves its operations from Blackfriars in London to Cray Avenue on the site of the old Blue Lagoon open air swimming pool.||The large Victorian house in Church Hill served as the vicarage until this year when the vicarage moved to The Drive.|
|1952||Oertling Ltd moved its operations to Cray Avenue in 1956. Oertling were considered to provide the most accurate measuring apparatus in the world.|
|1953||Circa- Crofton Grange is demolished.||11 October - The current Orpington Methodist Church opens and the now smaller one becomes the church hall.|
25th April - St Anne's became a primary school in April after being
recognised by the Local Education Authority and opened with 168
The current St Johns URC Church was built alongside the existing 1930's Church Hall.
The committee of the Farnborough parish struggle against ever increasing costs to secure a purpose built Church in Leamington avenue and opt for a pre-fabricated building (still there now) after the Diocese of Rochester buys the land for them.
|1956||The remains of an Iron Age farmstead were discovered whilst building Ramsden Boys School||The building of Ramsden Boys School|
|1957||Bark Hart was demolished and the land remaining was purchased by the All Saints parish.||
All Saints Church is greatly expanded including 'communal buildings'
on the site of the old Bark Hart House.
Tubbenden Primary School is built and opened.
Orpington Girls Grammar School is opened (Newstead Woods).
22nd June - St Giles of the Parish of Farnborough opens the 'The New
Hall Church’ in Leamington Avenue.
July - The new buildings constructed as part of All Saints were consecrated by the Bishop of Rochester.
Ramsden Girl's School opens
The current Orpington Fire Station in Avalon Road is opened.
The swimming baths at Darrick Wood purchased by the Kent County Council and then leased to the London Borough of Bromley. These baths now form part of Darrick Wood School.
Ramsden Boy's School is opened.
St Joseph's RC Church is erected in St Paul's Cray replacing the previous Victorian building which was damaged in the Second World War.
|1960||Approx. The Walnuts House and adjacent land (including the avenues of Walnut trees) was purchased by the London Borough of Bromley.|
|1961||Fire badly damages the Old Village Hall years of neglect were to follow.||Population: 80,227||1st June - After significant alteration and demolishment of the original buildings, Orpington Library and Museum are opened by the Duchess of Gloucester|
|1962||A significant storm drain relief system was developed and erected basically taking the old river that runs along the line of the High Street into a purpose built man made pipe that runs the length of the high st and into the Priory pond. The source of this river starts at Worley's Hole in Tubbenden Lane near the current primary school. This water hole eventually comes the river Cray.||Eric Lubbock is elected as Liberal MP for Orpington||Ramsden Boy's School is significantly increased in size.|
The first Town Centre development plans were announced from papers
first considered in 1945.
The High Street was, yet again, widened.
Tubbenden Primary School is separated to Infants and Juniors and the
Infants School building is built.
The London Government Act is passed and is set up to decide the fate of the many Borough and Urban District Councils.
|1964||1000 electric irons are being produced an hour at the Morphy Richards factory in St Mary Cray. The 20 millionth iron is produced this year.|
|1965||July - The current telephone exchange was built at Chislehurst Road ending the operation at the Orpington Post Office.||The News Shopper 'free' newspaper was launched from a small office above a hair dresser in Chislehurst Road.||
Orpington Urban District Council is abolished and is transferred
from Kent to London under the London Borough of Bromley (a grouping
of the Boroughs of Beckenham, Bromley, part of Chislehurst and
Sidcup and the Urban District Councils of Penge and Orpington. The
LLB was to become the largest of the 32 London Boroughs.
Up until this point Orpington Sports Club had been resident to the fields that is now St Olaves School since the 1930s. They move up Goddington Lane to their current site and the land was purchased by Kent County Council.
|1966||Tesco part 1. The last remaining cottages from the Firs estate were demolished to make way for the 1960's Tesco which is now Thornborrows.|
|1967||Eric Lubbock, then liberal MP for Orpington promoted a private member's bill to provide permanent Gypsy sites, this resulted in the Caravan Sites Act 1968 that placed an obligation upon local authorities to provide sites for locally residing travellers.||Eric Lubbock is re-elected as Liberal MP for Orpington||
A state of the art modern school is built and St Olaves and St
Saviours moves from its site in Southwark to Orpington.
The Orpington Baptist Church completes phase one of its plans by erecting two large halls at the junction of Station and Tower roads.
Morphy Richards relocates its manufacturing output.
The Westminster Bank merges with the National and Provincial forming The National and Westminster Bank (NatWest).
Westcombe Park RFC build their Club House in Craven Road.
The New Church Hall of St Giles Farnborough is renamed St Nicolas Church.
|1969||The price that the developers want to pay is too much for the owners of St Nicholas School, the former club house of the Orpington Golf Club. It is sold and demolished.||Work commences on building the Walnuts shopping centre.|
|1970||Plans were finally agreed and the planning and development of the current Walnuts shopping centre commenced.||
Eric Lubbock becomes Lord Avebury (The 4th Baron).
Ivor Stanbrook is elected Conservative MP for Orpington.
|The Morphy Richards factory closes. The area is cleared for commercial and light industrial use and today the location is known as the Nugent Shopping Centre.||Ivor Stanbrook is elected Conservative MP for Orpington.|
|1971||The population of the London Borough of Bromley in this year was 305,377||An international meeting of Romany people was held at Orpington, this Orpington Congress marked the founding of the International Romany Union, a group seeking political representation for Romanis throughout Europe.||The RC Church of the Holy Innocents becomes the Orpington Parish RC Church|
|1972||Orpington College is Built||Orpington College is built|
|1973||October: The Walnuts Shopping Centre is opened.||J Sainsbury opens its store in the Walnuts shopping centre|
The main section including the multi-storey car park of the Walnuts
shopping centre is built.
The London Borough of Bromley Historical Society if formed.
|1975||The Walnuts Leisure Centre is opened by Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother.|
|1976||The current Boots building is erected.||Chelsfield Station building is badly damaged by fire and is demolished.||The All Saints Vicarage moved from The Drive to Keswick Road.|
|1977||The Embassy Cinema in Petts Wood is demolished a Safeway Store (now Morrisons) is built in its place.||Stage 2 of the Orpington Baptist Church is completed with the main Church now open.|
|1978||Circa - The Old Village hall is demolished.||A decision is made to demolish; St Joseph and St Anne's Orphanages and Holy Innocents Church due to significant subsidence issues and a reduction of the demand for Orphanages.|
|1979||Alien UFO sighting above Commodore Cinema.|
The last significant flooding of the High St occurs. Shortly after
this an extensive civil engineering project is undertaken to prevent
this from happening again.
Work starts on the New Village Halls near to the War Memorial and opens later that year.
|20th September; The new Holy Innocents Church is consecrated and opened.|
|1982||The EMI Commodore Cinema closes in May, intentions to convert into a Bingo hall. This never happened and it was demolished.||
The 165th Anniversary of the Nash Paper Mills in St Mary Cray.
Barclays Bank had been located on the corner of Church Hill and the High St (opposite the White Hart) for some time. In this year they relocated south to the corner of Homefield Rise and the High St (opposite Nat West).
St Joseph's estate is completed. Proceeds from the land sale is used
to form St John Rigby School in West Wickham.
The Ontario Wing of Orpington Hospital is completed.
|1983||The Orpington Wimpy bar closes and is bought privately and opens and 'The Last Stop'.|
|1984||9th March - The present Orpington Police Station was opened.|
|1985||Commodore Cinema demolished and a new development including a McDonalds restaurant was built.||Orpington Road Runners established (The Buff)|
|1986||Network South-East is created to focus business on London and the SouthEast.|
|1990||The News Shopper moves from Orpington High St to purpose built offices in Petts Wood.||
August 31st: Ramsden School for Boys Closes along with the School
for Girls and becomes The Priory School.
Westcombe Park RFC move from Craven Road to Orpington Sports Club at Goddington Dene.
|1991||Work starts to demolish the former Ramsden School for Boys to become residential housing and the Bromley Indoor bowls Centre|
|1992||John Horam is elected as Conservative MP for Orpington ending 22 years of service as MP by Ivor Stanbrook who retired.|
|1994||Westcombe Park RFC take control of the Orpington Sports Club.|
|1996||Connex win the first privatised grouping of the former Network South-East part of the former British Railway.|
|2000||Tubbenden Schools - significant improvements and expansion takes place|
|2003||1st April - Princess Royal University Hospital opens to serve Bromley and Orpington on the site of Farnborough Hospital.|
|2004||Tubbenden Infant and Junior Schools form to become Tubbenden Federation of Schools|
January 31st - Station Road Car Park Closes
February 1st - Development of Tesco commences
|2007||The Nugent Shopping Centre opens in St Mary's Cray. Nearly 150 years since the first Industry/Commerce dominated the local area.|
|2008||Farnborough Plane Crash - A small aircraft crashed into Romsey Close off Broadwater Gardens. 5 People on board the plane died.||April - Sainsburys relocates to the former Marks and Spencer ending 35 years in the early 1970's premises.|
|2009||May - Tesco Extra opens|
|2010||July - Orpington High St Improvements opened by Boris Johnson (Mayor of London) and brother Jo Johnson (MP for Orpington).||Dec - The worst snow fall in many years affects the whole country but bizarrely Orpington Station features in many national news stories as passengers on many trains spend excessive hours on broken down trains.||Jo Johnson (brother of London Mayor Boris) is elected as Conservative MP for Orpington ending 18 years of service as MP by John Horam who retired.|